Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Chapter 18 of My Imaginary Dog

 We made our way back to Honey's Donuts.

"Before we go in," said Bear  "What name did you choose for your heroine?  I don't suppose you want to continue with Bertha."

"Definitely not Bertha, Bear.  I don't particularly like that name.  I already told you that."   I thought a moment and then said, "Abby, that's what I'll call her.  It's short, easy to remember, and cuter than Bertha." 

"Hm," said Bear.  "It's OK, I guess, and it is your book.  Let the book begin!"

I stopped to think and then I began.  "Well Bear, Harlequin #2 is my attempt to write something more in line with Harlequin Presents.  You know, the ones that have more explicit sex scenes, unlike those doctor and nurse stories.  Not that doctors and nurses didn't have explicit sex but it just wasn't in those early books I read."

"This could be interesting, Bum, but bear in mind the trouble you were having describing blow jobs.  I don't know if you're up for it.  That's all I'm saying."

"I finished writing up my Harlequin #2 story.  It seemed pretty long before I got to the point," I said.

You do tend to run on a bit," said Bear.

"So," I continued, "I decided to prekiss it."

"What does that mean?" asked Bear.

"Prekiss means to summarize events.  Some people pronounce it praysee.  It's spelled p-r-e-c-i-s."

"It seems to be the perfect word, Bum.  Why are you mocking it?"

"It seems a bit pretentious to me, Bear, but I'm a plain-speaking person, as you know."

"I don't know about that, Bum.  You often use big words when a little word would do.  Prekiss away."


Without preamble, I began. 


After a devastating and incapacitating accident which involved being knocked down by a cyclist and looked after by her aunt during her recuperation, the ministrations of her aunt were claustrophobic and Abby, the heroine, was rescued by the unexpected inheritance of a house in Deep Cove.

Beaten down by the recent incapacitation due to the accident, thin and out of shape, Abby decides to strengthen herself through walking  Her walks take her to a popular restaurant in Deep Cove village which particularly specializes in donuts.  She meets her hero whose name she learns is Daniel and his woman companion at the check-out at Honey's Donut Shop.

A conversation ensues about Abby's coat and the hero's suggestion that his companion give her expensive coat to Abby in exchange for the companion's purchase of Abby's coat which she admires and desires.

There is an exchange of words about Abby's appearance and the hero's interest.


"So, what do you think, Bear?  Is this a good idea for Harlequin #2?"  I tried to keep the anxiety out of my voice and Bear, standing there, looked somewhat astonished.  I hadn't realized how important it was for me to have Bear's approval.

Bear made me wait.  He can be like that.

"Not bad, Bum, but how will Abby meet the hero again?  He doesn't know her name, nor where she lives, and all Abby knows is that his first name is Daniel.  You'll have to get pretty creative to bring those two together."

"I thought of something.  They meet at my favourite store, The Great Canadian Superstore, and meet again at my favourite Donut Shop, Honey's."

"Tell me more, Bum.  I've never been to Superstore.  Why did you never take me there?"

"You don't belong there, that's why, and it no longer matters.  I have decided to dump Harlequin #2 from our book, Bear.  It doesn't belong either" said Bum.

"So you're giving up your dream, Bum?"

"No."  I paused for effect.  "I wrote Harlequin #2 down, and I have it at hand, and that's enough."

"I thought you wanted to write a Harlequin and have it published for posterity," said Bear.

"No, Bear, I don't need that, posterity I mean.  It was the doing of it that was important, and I've done it, and I'm done."

"I guess you couldn't handle the sex scenes," said Bear with what he thought was finality.

"I nailed the sex scenes, if you must know, yee of so little faith."

"Have you had a lot of sex, Bum? asked Bear.

"Not really, but I do read a lot.








No comments:

Post a Comment