Friday, January 31, 2020

AUDIENCE

"Good morning, Bear.  We'd best move on with Paul's Reader's Report.  Time's a wastin', and we may never get through the entire report.  We need to come on in the stretch as they say when calling a horse race"
 
"I'm ready, Bum.  Are you?  How do you feel?" enquired Bear.

"I feel pretty good today, Bear.  I've been on my early morning walk and I finished my whole water bottle because there were so many cars going by.  Also, I have a drink of water after 20 steps and 5 shoulder lifts.  I think it's working.  I'm more upright.  You may have noticed."

"Yes, I did notice, Bum.  You're not bent over as much as before.  This is good.  I'm glad you took control of your own exercises to help your back.  God knows, the medical profession had nothing to offer."

"You know what I think of the medical profession, Bear.  I still haven't gotten over that call I got from that Pain Management place.  After a year, he tells me he has my appointment for a dermatologist and, would you believe, it's at 8:30 of all times.  Am or pm stinks but I'll have to phone and get that clarified because my appointment is coming up in about three weeks."

"I'll be glad when that's over, Bum, for your sake." muttered Bear.  He's as sick of the subject of my back as I am, thought Bum.

"Before moving on to the Audience analysis of our book by Paul, let me say that I make a solemn vow not to be one of those people, who, when asked how they are, tell you, ad nauseum."

"I concur, Bum.  When my master's wife had her gall bladder operation many years ago, I heard the details of that so many times when she was asked by her friends how that went, that I felt quite bilious."

"OK, then, Bear, this is what Paul had to say about Audience.  He said and I quote, Next: the audience for the story.  I expect that the ideal reader will be one who can identify with Janey's world and interests, and will be tickled by a retiree consorting with a talking dog.  So I see an adult audience, especially one of older adults--fellow retirees.  There are more and more of these as the Baby Boomers retire, so it's a large and ever-growing demographic, and maybe also one that is not really served that well in fiction writing.  It needs to be an audience who can take a genuine interest in a retiree romance, and not see that as something merely cute and funny, as younger people might be ought to do."

Bear thought a moment and then said "What about dog lovers?  Now, there's a big audience."

"I agree, Bear.  I think dog lovers will love our book.   They know when their dog is irritated with them and turns away from them to show their displeasure.  The dog shows them in every possible way what they are thinking and feeling and loving.  My mother told me once that her dog, Buck, was very angry with her and wouldn't come to her when she called and wouldn't have anything to do with her until she apologized.  I found that a bit weird at the time but Mom was adamant that Buck took great exception to something she did, I cannot remember what it was now, and it took days for him to forgive her and become her loving companion once more.  My friend Ellen said her cat gave her the  cold shoulder once when another animal was visiting and getting a lot of praise and petting.  I always thought people like this were imagining things but now I know different.  Look at some of the incidents we've had when you were ticked off and I had to talk you round."

"Maybe you're on to something, Bum," acknowledged Bear, before proceeding with his remarks on Audience.  "What about those Harlequin readers.  There must be thousands of them out there."

"At least," said Bum, wryly, "but the two little Harlequins in our book are pretty short."

"What's size got to do with anything?" came Bear right back.

"I'll mention our two thoughts on possible readers to Paul when I see him next and see what he has to say."

"OK, then," said Bear.

"I have to go now, Bear.  I have a 12:30 appointment up at Parkgate at The Sanctuary."

"The Sanctuary?" repeated Bear.  "Is that a religious outfit?"

"No, it's a place of beauty.  They do manicures, pedicures, and facials, and perhaps other things I cannot envisage," said Bum.  "I'm having a mini pedicure, if you must know, and I'll tell you all about it tomorrow when we meet."

Bear looked at Bum in absolute astonishment before speaking.

"A pedicure!! You?"





..  





   









.















No comments:

Post a Comment